Wat Phra Singh, Chiang Rai
Wat Pra Singh (วัดพระสิงห์) is located on Thanon Singkhlai (ถนนสิงหไคล) Tambon Wiang (ตำบลเวียง) Amphoe Mueang (อำเภอเมือง) Chiang Rai Province (จังหวัดเชียงราย).
Wat Pra Singh was built by Pra Chao Maha Proma (P.E. 1345 – 1400), circa 1385 (B.E. 1928).
The Ubosoth contains several replicas of the Pra Singh or Pra Buddhasihing image, a cultural landmark in the history of the Lanka wong Theraveda Sect of Buddhism in Thailand.
An Ebony and Gold image
The Pra Buddhasihing image, called the Pra Singh image in Northern Thailand, is said to have come from Sri Lanka to Nakorn Sri Thammalat to Sukhothai to Ayutthaya, Kamphaengphet, Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai before ending up in Bangkok.
A Purple Jade image
According to the Chiang Mai Chronicles Pra Chao Maha Proma attempted to usurp the throne at Chiang Mai upon the death of his brother Pra Nue Na but failed and withdrew to the protection of the king of Ayutthaya. When he later returned to Chiang Rai he brought the Pra Buddhasihing image with him.
Other Buddha images at Wat Pra Singh
There are several other interesting Buddha images at Wat Pra Singh, like these gathered beneath a Bodhi tree sent from India.
The Pali School at Wat Pra Singh
There has long been a Pali language school at Wat Pra Singh and a new building was dedicated on the occasion of the Queen’s seventy second Phansa, on 22 July, 2005 (22 กรกฎคม 2548).
According to Radhika Abeysekera, the Buddha’s mother, Queen Mahaa Maayaa, decided to visit her mother so that she could be with her at the time of the birth of her baby.
On the way she stopped at the Lumbini Pleasure Garden to rest. Under a sweet-scented Sala Lanka tree, on a full moon day in the month of May, in the year 623 B.C., the Prince was born.
Wat Pra Singh in Chiang Rai has a pair of Sala Lanka trees behind the chedi, in front of the kuti, or monks’ quarters. They are sweet scented indeed.
The Buddha walked the earth for 80 years and passed into Nirvana in 543 B.C. The P.E and the B.E. differ by 543 years.