Gokuku-ji (護国寺, Gokuku-ji?) is a Buddhist temple in Tokyo’s Bunkyo-ku. It was established by the mother of the Shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi.
In 1873, Emperor Meiji declared Gokoku-ji the Imperial mausoleum, and several of his children are buried there, as well as Emperor Meiji himself. It remains the Imperial mausoleum today.
Gokoku-ji is also famous as the central temple that oversees the practice of Japanese tea ceremony in all the country’s temples.
Important cultural property
- Main Hall Genroku 10 Year (1697) Established
- Temple of moonlight (Former Sonjoji Nikkoin Shrine, Momoyama period)
- Bronze copper bells
- Silk original ink painting fisherman figure Zhang Rushi (China · Age)
- Leisiki Ebisu tree bamboo pattern dye embroidery sleeve
- Temple boundary collection
- Cavalry Kannon Harada Naoshiro Brush (1890 Oil painting linen cloth) (deposited at the National Museum of Modern Art, designated in 2007)