Jing’an Temple (Chinese: 静安寺; Hanyu Pinyin: Jìng’ānsì; literally “Temple of Peace and Tranquility”) is a Buddhist temple on Nanjing Road West, in Jing’an District, Shanghai, China.
The first temple was built in 247 AD, at the time of the Kingdom of Wu, during the Three Kingdoms period. Originally located beside Suzhou Creek, it was relocated to its current site in 1216 during the Song Dynasty. The current temple was rebuilt in the Qing Dynasty. During the Cultural Revolution, it was converted into a plastics factory. It was converted back to an active temple following reconstruction in 1983.
Three Southern-style main halls, each with its own courtyard, dating from the most recent reconstruction (1880):
- Hall of Heavenly Kings
- Hall of the Three Saints
- Hall of Virtuous Works
- The Precious Hall of the Great Hero, or main hall, currently under construction. When completed, it will be four to five stories tall
- To the east of the main hall is the Guanyin Hall. In the center of the hall is a statue of the goddess made out of camphor wood. Standing on a lotus-shaped base, it is 6.2 meters tall and weighs 5 tons
- Opposite to the hall is the Jade Buddha Hall, where a 3.8-meter jade Buddha sits in the center. It is the largest sitting jade Buddha statue in the country
- Abbot’s Chambers
- Ming Dynasty copper bell (Hongwu Bell), weighing 3.5 tons
- Stone Buddhas from the Southern and Northern Dynasties period (420-589 AD)
The temple is served by the Jing’an Temple station of Shanghai Metro (Line 2).
|Stations of the Shanghai Metro|
|Line 2||Songhong Rd.–Beixinjing–Weining Rd.–Loushanguan Rd.-Zhongshan Park – Jiangsu Lu – Jing’an Temple – Shimen 1 Lu – People’s Square – Henan Zhong Lu – Lujiazui – Dongchang Lu – Dongfang Lu – Shanghai Science and Technology Museum – Century Park – Longyang Lu – Zhangjiang|
|(stations in italics are not yet in use or under construction)|