The Temple of the Six Banyan Trees is an ancient Buddhist temple built in 537 in the Liang Dynasty in Guangzhou, southern China.
The temple's proximity to foreign consulates in Guangzou has made it a regular destination for families participating in the international adoption of children from China. Typically families receive blessings for their newly adopted children at this temple in front of the statue of Kuan Yin.
The Temple of the Six Banyan Trees was originally called the Baozhuangyan Temple but during the Northern Song Dynasty, a writer called Su Shi wrote the inscription Liu Rong (Six Banyan Trees) because of the six banyan trees he saw there and it has since been called the Temple of the Six Banyan Trees.
The temple was burned down and rebuilt in the Northern Song Dynasty. Flowery Pagoda, the main structure of the temple, was built in 1097, and was named for its colorful exterior.