Buddhism: Details about 'Jamgon Kongtrul'
The Jamgon Kongtruls
.line of incarnate Lamas begins with Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye in the 19th century. They are honored as lineage-holders of all the lineages of Tibetan Buddhism. The Jamgon Kogtrul's have had a profound influence on many teachers and masters of the different schools.
The First Jamgon Kongtrul
December 14, 1813- January 19, 1899
Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye was a scholar and yogi from Tibet. He was one of the most prominent Buddhist masters in Tibet in the 19th century. He is credited as one of the founders of the Rime movement of Tibetan
Buddhism and compiled what is known as the Five Great Treasuries. He achievedgreat renown as a scholar and writer, and authored more than 100 volumes of scriptures.
Books by Jamgon Kongrtol Lodro Thaye
• The Treasury of Knowledge, Book One: Myriad WorldsSnow Lion Publications, 2003. ISBN: 155939188X
• The Treasury of Knowledge, Book Five: Buddhist EthicsSnow Lion Publications, 2003. ISBN: 155939191X
• The Treasury of Knowledge, Book Six, Part 4: Systems of Buddhist TantraSnow Lion, 2005, ISBN: 155939210X
• The Great Path of Awakening : The Classic Guide to Using the Mahayana Buddhist Slogans to Tame the Mind and Awaken the Hearttranslated by Ken McLeod, Shambhala, 2000. ISBN: 1570625875
• Buddha Nature, The Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra with CommentaryArya Maitreya, with commentary by Jamgon Kongrul Lodro Thaye and Khenpo Tsultrim
Gyamtso Rinpoche, Snow Lion, 200. ISBN 1559391286
• Cloudless Skycommentary by Jamgon Kongrul the Third.Shambhala, 2001. ISBN 1570626049
• Jamgon Kongtrul's Retreat Manualtranslated by Ngawang Zangpo. Snow Lion Publications, 1994. ISBN: 1559390298
• The Torch of CertaintyForeword by Chogyam Trungpa. Shambhala, 2000. ISBN: 1570627134
• Creation and Completion: Essential Points of Tantric Meditationtranslated by Sarah Harding. Wisdom Publications, 2002. ISBN: 0861713125
• The Autobiography of Jamgon Kongtrul: A Gem of Many Colorstranslated by Richard Barron, Snow Lion Publications, 2003. ISBN: 1559391847
• Sacred Ground: Jamgon Kongtrul on Pilgrimage and Sacred GeographySnow Lion Publications, 2001. ISBN: 1559391642
• Enthronement: The Recognition of the Reincarnate Masters of Tibet and the HimalayasSnow Lion Publications, 1997. ISBN: 1559390832
• The Teacher-Student RelationshipSnow Lion Publications, 1999. ISBN: 1559390964
• Essence of Benefit and JoySiddhi Publications, 2000. ISBN: 0968768954
• Timeless Rapture : Inspired Verse from the Shangpa MastersSnow Lion, 2003. ISBN: 1559392045
• Light of Wisdom, Vol. 1by Padmasambhava, commentary by Jamgon Kongtrul, translated by Erik Pema Kunsang, Rangjung Yeshe Publications, 1999. ISBN: 9627341371
• Light of Wisdom, Vol. IIby Padmasambhava, commentary by Jamgon Kongtrul, translated by Erik Pema Kunsang, Rangjung Yeshe Publications, 1999. ISBN: 9627341339
The Second Jamgon Kongtrul
The 15th Karmapa's biography mentions that he had a vision in which he saw 25 simultaneous reincarnations of the master Jamgon Kongtrul. The most famous of the these was Karsey Kongtrul (kar sras kong sprul) (1904-1953), alias Jamgön Palden Khyentse Özer ('jam dbyangs mkhyen brtse'i 'od zer).