The Cheng Hoon Teng temple (青云亭) is a Buddhist temple in Jalan Tokong, Malacca, Malaysia.
It is the oldest functioning temple in Malaysia.
The richly decorated Cheng Hoon Teng temple covers an area of 4,600 square metres.
Featuring a magnificent main gate along Jalan Tokong, the Cheng Hoon Teng temple consists of a complex of several prayer halls, with a large main prayer hall dedicated to the goddess of mercy, Kuan Yin. Additional smaller prayer quarters were added later. One of these is dedicated to the Taoist gods of wealth, longevity and propagation, while another houses ancestral tablets.
One of the most dramatic features of Cheng Hoon Teng temple is the seven-metre red flag-pole facing the left wing of the main prayer hall, which houses the remains of two of the three Kapitans who contributed to the constrution of the temple. Across the road is a traditional opera theatre, which forms a part of the Cheng Hoon Teng temple complex.
The building conforms to the principles of feng shui. The complex is laid out to ensure a view of the river and high ground on either side.
Built in 1645 by Kapitan Lee Wei King with building materials imported from China, Cheng Hoon Teng served as the main place of worship for the local Hokkien community. The main hall was built by Kapitan Chan Ki Lock in 1704 and was rebuilt in 1801 by Kapitan China Chua Su Cheong, who contributed to the aesthetic and magnificent structural additions of the building.
In 2003, Cheng Hoon Teng was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, following restoration work carried out by the Malaysian government.